[meteorite-list] AD: Sale of Villalbeto de la Pena, Spain

From: Dieter Heinlein <dieter.heinlein_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 4 01:56:37 2005

Dear meteorite enthusiasts,

exactly 18 months after the spectacular, Spanish meteorite fall of January 4,
2004, we can offer some pieces of this fall for sale. The meteorite fall was
officially named "Villalbeto de la Pena". We would like to offer you one of
the first available pieces. Surely you already have heard and read about this
brilliant daylight fireball and the multiple meteorite fall
http://www.spmn.uji.es/ESP/nov38eng.html

The L6 chondrites, that have been found there, were already fully analyzed,
and details regarding this fall have been officially published in the Met. Bull.
No. 88 (MaPS Aug 2004, vol. 39, p. A238).
A detailed report about the "Villalbeto de la Pena" is already accepted and
will be published soon in Meteoritics & Planetary Science.

This daylight fireball is very special, since there are several video recordings!
So it was possible to calculate the heliocentric orbit of the meteoroid -- not
as precise like in the Neuschwanstein case, but we got a very reliable orbit.

The following pieces of the "Villalbeto de la Pena" meteorite (L6 chondrite)
are available for sale at present:

A complete individual of 77.6 g weight, covered with 100% thick, primary
fusion crust. This specimen is really GORGEOUS! Price: 2140 EUR

A rough piece of 46.7 g weight. This is a pocked-faced fragment covered
with 98% thin and very fresh, black fusion crust. Some small pieces of the
crust are chipped off, revealing the grey interior. Price: 1430 EUR

End piece of 42.6 g weight. The cut surface shows much fresh metal. The black
fusion crust covers almost the whole back of this end piece. Price: 970 EUR

Part slice (of a fragment) of 26.2 g weight, with 70% fresh, black fusion crust.
5.7 mm thick. Price: 655 EUR

End piece of 11.1 g weight. The cut surface shows much fresh metal. The black
fusion crust covers the entire back of this end piece. Price: 350 EUR

About three dozen meteorites have been found (the total weight is only 4.4 kg!),
but most of the material was secured by Spanish Museums or it was was found
by serious collectors, who would not part with their specimens. Therefore the
pieces that we are offering here, are the first and most probably the only that
will be available on the market at all. Only a few pieces are available, so take
your chance now! When these pieces are gone, they are gone...

Naturally, I guarantee for the authenticity of every single piece. Every specimen
comes with my certificate and a DVD with photos and video clips of the two
field trips and the meteorites finds in situ!!!

Please let me know soon (off list), in which piece(s) you may be interested.
If you like, I can send you scans and photos of the desired specimen(s).

Kind regards

Dieter Heinlein
Bavarian Meteorite Lab