[meteorite-list] Meteorites - warm or hot to the touch?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 3 20:11:53 2005

Hi Elton-

I'm curious about the basis of your assertion that physics suggests a
typical meteorite should be hot on the outside and cool on the inside. I
would expect a large stone (or iron) to have an internal temperature similar
to what it was at in space, which can vary from around -100?C to +60?C
depending on the parent's albedo and surface properties. As the object gets
smaller, its passage through the atmosphere becomes more important in
determining its final temperature. Something fist sized, for instance, will
have probably equilibrated its temperature to the atmosphere during most of
its fall (-40?C is a good value for this), and then begun warming from the
outside during the last minute in warmer air. Depending on the thermal
conductivity of the material, I think it will feel somewhere between ambient
and slightly cool. I believe that the conditions leading to a warm or hot
exterior are not common.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory