[meteorite-list] rock on the noggin story- (PV)

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 3 19:52:04 2005

Hello Al, Sterling, Blaine (?) and all,

  Al had written in part:

".... Apparently the Portales Valley New Mexico fall
had specimens that were hot to the touch. One of these
meteorites landed on a tarp and melted the tarp.
Unfortunately the finder pulled the melted tarp off
the meteorite. You can still see plastic from the tarp

> melted on the meteorite though. I believe the
> meteorite is in the possession of Blaine Reed (last
I talked to him)...."

  I'll admit this is a topic that I'm personally very
interested in and just wanted to ask a question about
this if anyone knows more.

  (I am NOT "making a statement one way or the other",
as I do not know the "final" answer. But This is what
I recall hearing about this.)

1. At first, it was suggested that it was the "heat
from a freshly-fallen hot meteorite" that melted the
plastic.

2. Then it was suggested that the melting might have
simply been caused by the intense summer sun shining
onto black plastic and a black "rock" lying directly
on the hot ground, causing enough heat to melt the
plastic onto the meteorite.

  So, my question is: DOES anyone know the "final"
answer to which one was the "correct" heat source that
caused the melting??

  Thanks a lot to anyone who might be able to help
with this.

  Best wishes and a Happy 4th !!
  Robert Woolard
  http://www.portalesvalleymeteorites.com