[meteorite-list] Meteorites - warm or hot to the touch? - A Re-post

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 3 15:53:22 2005

Hi Chris and all,

I agree with you on the red hot, white hot stories. I don't go along
with those. The study of meteorites is the study of un-differentiated
material, though various degrees of differentiation can tell the solar
system story better. If meteorites were heated to that extreme then
isotopes would be reset and information lost.

However as I mentioned and as Sterling post so well defined the fall
characteristics there ARE exceptions to the rule. Not on the glowing
red, glowing white but the fact some meteorites are hot to the touch. I
believe a tarp melted on the Portales Valley specimen provides
un-refutable proof.

Some of Bernd's references are no doubt exaggerations by lay people on
the ground. Other references are no doubt good witnessed reports.
Noblesville, I believe was warm to the touch as an example. Always a
good idea to keep an open mind where science is concern.

--AL