[meteorite-list] Nebraska Man Says He Was Nearly Hit By Meteorite

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 1 21:50:57 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:50:38 -0400, Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_charter.net> wrote:

>Look at the photo at this site. It is small, and fuzzy (the picture, not the rock) but doesn't look
>entirely unlike a pretty badly weathered chondrite with a little bit of fusion crust and a little
>bit of metal. So I'm not ready to rule out just yet that he has a real meteorite-- a cheap NWA that
>he bought on Ebay or elsewhere and is trying to make up some story about.
>
>http://www.theomahachannel.com/news/4672177/detail.html#

Here is a copy of that photo from that page. Now, it may very well be nothing but a piece of slag,
but also from that Arnoldesque photo it doesn't look unlike weathered NWAs that I have, with bits of
eroded fusion crust and areas of grey, detail-less deeply water-damaged interior, and possibly
reflective bits of metal. A bigger/better picture might make that resemblance go away, but I'm
still holding out the possibility that he has a low-end NWA that he is trying to pass off as an
exciting new fall.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wrong_or_rite.jpg