[meteorite-list] Nininger to Henderson letter; May 1, 1939 - Goose Lake Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 31 20:13:03 2005

.H. NININGER, A.M.
Director

The AMERICAN METEORITE LABORATORY
RESEARCH ON METEORITES
Office 1955 Fairfax Street
DENVER

                        Alturas, California

                            May 1, 1939
Mr. E.P. Henderson,
Dept. of Mineralogy,
U.S. National Museum,
Washington, D.C.

Dear Dr. Henderson:

                             We left Denver April 3 for a lecture tour of
California institutions. Before leaving we had word from a Mills College
Professor regarding a large meteorite in northern California which he wished
to show us. He had examined a sample. Upon reaching U.C.L.A. Dr. Leonard
very urgently requested that after my lecture engagements were filled I
should come here to examine the same meteorite in the interests of securing
it for the University of California and other California institutions. At
the time of receiving these two requests I had not known of the U.S.
National Museum negotiations with Mr. Schmit on behalf of his associates,
the finders of the meteorite. Accordingly, I agreed to come with the
understanding that they would pay Mr. Schmit's personal expenses on the
trip. In return I was to allow these sponsors the use of my notes and
photographs for reporting this specimen. I was instructed to have a survey
run to determine whether the meteorite were on government or private land
since the forestry office in San Francisco was not sure.
                               The Forestry office gladly cooperated in this
enterprise for they had been worried the thought of the possibility of the
meteorite being removed without a careful examination by trained scientists.
  They had also been consulted by California scientists who were eager to
retain this meteorite for California institutions and who knew there was
considerable patented land in the vicinity. I agreed to come as their
representative leaving the matter of my expenses to be cared for after the
matter of ownership was cleared up.
                                We arrived here Friday morning, April 28,
and made one attempt to relocate the specimen that day. We were
unsuccessful but the second day succeeded in finding it and in making field
notes regarding its situation and surroundings. Yesterday we had the Forest
Service run a survey to determine on what land the meteorite lies. It was
found to be on government land about one-half mile from the nearest
privately owned land. Last night I wired you and am now waiting for a
reply.
                                I estimated an expense of $70. (seventy
dollars) for its removal, allowing $20.00 for two days of my time. I do not
think it will require more than two days to remove and ship the specimen.
It is, of course, possible that we may encounter difficulties which will
require more time. It is located about 45 miles from Alturas, on a high
lava mesa. Five miles of this road must be negotiated by team at this time
of year. If it could be left until later in the summer a truck could be
driven within a half mile of it but it is a practical certainty that the
specimen would be badly mutilated by that time since there would be no way
of policing it and the entire community is aware of it presence. Some of
the local people knew last fall of its discovery and recently excitement
regarding it has been growing apace. Naturally, that was intensified by our
visit.
                                 We have found Mr. Schmit who represents the
three finders a very high-type fellow. He has considerable appreciation of
the importance of the find and expressed to some of his friends a very keen
regret over the probability that all responsibility for removing the
specimen might be left on his shoulders. He felt that a trained scientist
should be given that responsibility. He placed me in a very embarrassing
situation when he told me that California scientists had informed him that
$3000.00 would be made available for the specimen if it could be retained in
California and demanded of me, after seeing the specimen, to state its true
value. I avoided a definite estimate but you can imagine the situation in
which I was placed when he told me that if it were on government land he
would have to give it up to the U.S. Museum who had agreed to pay him for
his time after dividing with the two fellows. I told him that, of course
you could not be too liberal in your offer before seeing the condition
except for the removal of a small sample and I trust that you be as liberal
as possible in your allowance to the finders in view of this whole
situation. I also told him that I was in no position whatever to speak for
your institution.
                                After seeing the keep interest of California
scientists in this specimen and the very respectful attitude which they have
taken toward the fact of its being on government property and their entirely
honorable conduct throughout the whole affair including their disappointment
I think it would be a very splendid thing if they cold be privileged to
exhibit the specimen in California throughout the summer with the clear
understanding that it be shipped to the U.S. Museum in the autumn. Even a
shorter period of exhibition would be appreciated by them. I informed them
that I had no right to speak in this matter and leaving it entirely up to
you.
                                I have said nothing about my expense of
coming here and you may do whatever you think is fair in the matter. I will
have lost four days beside that which will be consumed in removing the
meteorite and have driven 528 miles.
                                 If upon receipt of this letter you have
instructed me to proceed with the meteorite's removal, then you may write me
the other hand, you have no so instructed me you may send your reply to my
address in Denver, as I will have to leave the meteorite to its fate and get
back to my work.

Sincerely yours,
(Signed)
H.H. Nininger