[meteorite-list] OT: meteorite hunting gas mileage, etc.

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 31 16:52:47 2005

Keith wrote:

> I drove my S-10 Vortex V-6 Blazer 229 miles round trip from
> Tucson, average speed was 85+ mph, I used 11.2 gallons of
> gas. That's 20.4 mpg, thats's also with about 20 miles of
> Tucson city driving ...

I'm amazed you got that good of mileage with a Blazer as I've
driven them before (e.g. Park City ski trip last year) and
never got 20 mpg -- even at far more fuel-efficient speeds.
Maybe they don't do as well at high altitude loaded up with
people and ski gear.

> ... and I was flying pass those out of state cars driving
> slow in the left lane all the way, you can ask John Gwilliam,
> I scared the %$#* out of him.

That's one of my favorite pet peeves about California drivers --
they think if they're going 75 in the left lane (speed limit 65)
that that's good enough. I'd love to see them try that on
Germany's autobahn -- you'd find them in the obituaries inside
of a few days.

--Rob