[meteorite-list] Cambodian meteorite/fires

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 27 14:19:24 2005

Dear List,
  The Thai/Cambodian/Lao border regions are some of
the most heavily mined areas in the world. Near the
border on the Thai side most of the mined areas are
marked with signs or rope/flags. On the Cambodian
side and in rural Laos many of the mines are unmarked
and hundreds of thousands of them await to injure or
kill the unknowing (and do so daily).
  It is unlikely that any rice field would still
contain landmines. If there were fires they were
caused by man, either on purpose (this is the VERY
season for burning off fields and forest) or
accidently with a cigarette, etc.
  It certainly appears that the rock is a meteorite
and a very nice one!
  Many of the peoples in rural Thai/Laos/Cambodia are
animists and have a strong beliefs in any signs out of
the ordinary. They worship unusual rocks and trees as
they have for thousands of years.
  If anyone ever needs a guide for the area please
contact me. I am usually in the area once a month.
Sincerely, Dirk Ross...Tokyo