[meteorite-list] etching irons with ferric chloride solutionfrom radio shack

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 27 05:35:21 2005

Ferric Chloride has been used for many years for etching meteorites. (I personally etched a small Canyon Diablo in about 1985 and it has never shown any signs of rust). Iv'e even etched campos in Ferric, and they are fine too.

 You must neutralize the iron after etching however, in Sodium hydroxide solution (caustic soda) or Sodium bicarbonate soln.)

It is important to clean the meteorite and remove all traces of etchant. And etch as quickly as possible (I.E concentrated and warm) so that the solution doesn't have time to penetrate into the meteorite.

Nitric acid is used for etching as well, this has it's own problems with stability,

In either case, as long as you take care to neutralize it, then It should give no problems. Personally I have found Ferric Chloride to give a far better quality of etch, even under mag it is noticeable.

Best
Mark