[meteorite-list] etching irons with ferric chloride solution from radio shack

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 26 18:12:16 2005

I thought that the general idea was chlorine and iron makes rusting
meteorites.
I wouldn't use it myself. I used some to etch circuit boards in my youth and
if you drop some grains of iron chloride it will pull moisture from the air
until it's completely dissolved.
If you dip an iron into FeCl solution it will be drawn into dry
fractures and
surfaces and to get it out without electrolysis is probably really slow
work.

Am I wrong in my speculations? Anyone tested this already?

I use the alcohol and nitric acid etch. Not only because I have it
handy, but
also to avoid chlorine contaminations.

/G?ran