[meteorite-list] NPA 07-12-1939 Dresden Meteor from Detroit

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jan 23 12:07:08 2005

Paper: Edwardsville Intelligencer
City: Edwardsville, Illinois
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 1939
Page: 3 (of 8)

     DETROIT, July 11 - (AP) - A meteor, apparently of tremendous size,
streaked northward through the sky over Lake Erie last night and
disintegrated with a terrific concussion over Canada.
     It was visible for hundreds of miles. Residents along the Lake Huron
and Lake Erie shores in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Canada
reported the spectacle.
     It flashed over the outlying Detroit metropolitan area with a great
roar that started residents. Many believed it had struck the ground.
     Police headquarters and newspaper offices were swamped with telephone
calls from the curious. One woman excitedly reported that a freighter had
blown up on Lake St. Clair.
     The meteor appears at 8 63 p m CST and, following a line about five
point west of due south, lighted the horizon for several seconds. Residents
of the area north of Detroit said it vanished in a "great puff of smoke."
Some observers believed it was consumed near Mt. Clemens, Mich., 13 miles
north of Detroit, but distances of meteors usually are deceiving.
     Felix Holt, news editor of radio state WXYZ, descried the meteor as a
"tremendous ball of fire"
     "It appeared to pass east a few blocks away from me with my wife 12
miles north of the city," he said. "Just before it reached the ground it
went out and the concussion followed. It had anything best that I've ever
seen."

(end)

This article refers to the Dresden (Ontario) meteorite. This meteorite fell
in Ontario, Canada on June 11, 1939 at 8:56pm local time (EST). Three
specimens were recovered totaling 47.7 kg.

Reference: Meteorites A to Z: Second Edition. (2004).

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.