[meteorite-list] Chondrule Question

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jan 23 01:52:02 2005

On Friday, January 21, 2005 2:25 PM, "Maria Haas" <dragonsoup_at_msn.com>
wrote:

> I have a lot of OC's with varying degrees of
> weathering and chondrules poking through the desert varnish that are
> not weathered like this one. I am wondering why this particular
> chondrule weathered to a pinkish color.

Just the right weathering conditions for the rusting iron to permeate
the chondrule and discolor it. Maybe it's not common in your other
specimens because they're not armored... Or, maybe it's a rarer
mineral - orthoclase is commonly pink in color here on earth. I don't
quite understand the alteration products/series, but the process can
result in quite colorful rocks. A lot of maybes - any
mineralogists/geologists out there?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dragonsoup_maria/detail?.dir=4ccf&.dnm=437a.jpg&.src=ph

> At 60x:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dragonsoup_maria/detail?.dir=4ccf&.dnm=107b.jpg&.src=ph