[meteorite-list] Mars Rover's Meteorite Discovery Triggers Questions

From: Jeff Kuyken <jeff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 21 04:03:50 2005

Howdy,

This is sort of touching on my post the other day; but if the atmosphere is
so thin and the meteor retains a lot of velocity, then I would presume the
angle of descent would not alter as significantly as it does on Earth
either! Everyone is assuming a somewhat vertical impact, but if this
meteorite hit at a 'relatively' shallow angle then it may have bounced,
ricocheted or rolled across the ground (for a considerable distance) before
coming to a stop. A shallow angle through the atmosphere may also go 'some
way' to explaining the regmaglypts with a longer burn time.

Cheers,

Jeff Kuyken
I.M.C.A. #3085
www.meteorites.com.au