[meteorite-list] Mars Rover's Meteorite Discovery Triggers Questions

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 20 15:01:45 2005

Hola Rob, I think I actually did this about a year ago on this meteorite
list (or meteor obs?). I recall thinking about Cabin Creek at the time, not too
far off for comparison now, from what I can see. I recall it was between
once and twice the speed of sound at impact, and I recall thinking it was
ball-park similar to falling on the peak of Mt. Everest regarding ablation and
atmospheric phenomenon...We also discussed at the time the range of sizes of
stone and iron meteorites that could successfully survive atmospheric passage.
I believe the 1 to 10 meter range was the maximum figure...Saludos., Doug

Rob Matson wrote:
En un mensaje con fecha 01/20/2005 12:40:55 PM Mexico Standard Time,
ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com escribe:

If I can find (or someone can provide) standard atmospheric profile data for
Mars, I can estimate the minimum impact velocities and ablation percentages
for preatmospheric iron meteorites
of various masses assuming grazing incidence and an initial cosmic velocity
equal to Martian escape velocity. The actual impact velocity for the "Heat
Shield Rock" will certainly be higher, but at least we'll have a ballpark idea
of the minimum impact velocity.