[meteorite-list] ventifacted iron on Earth

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 19 17:54:33 2005

It should be iron ore, hematite or magnetite, not iron or iron alloy.
The banding is produced by tectonic motions and it's called folding.

I visited a swedish mine this summer where there were a lot of
banded iron ore. To get a piece off the big rock below took a lot
of work but it's a perfect way to get rid of stress.
After a while I got my piece for my collection and then I just picked
up a number of loose pieces for trade.

A hematite - quartz banded block with my sledgehammer on top.
http://www.geology.neab.net/travel/2004/bergslagen/Striberg-1.jpg
Close up of the banded structure.
http://www.geology.neab.net/travel/2004/bergslagen/Striberg-2.jpg

Theese are sedimentary iron ores and the banded structure is created by
varied conditions during the sedimentation.

There are also hematite - magnetite banded ores that reflects the oxygen
level of the environment, or in other words, the atmosphere.

/G?ran