[meteorite-list] NASA Rover Finds Meteorite on Surface of Mars

From: jbaxter112_at_pol.net <jbaxter112_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 18 20:27:22 2005

Hi Ron,

When you consider infintesimal the odds of finding a meteorite here on
Earth after traversing as short a distance as the rovers have, you have to
ask whether there are local factors on Mars which dramatically increase
the number of meteorites per square kilometer on the surface there. I
assume the lack of water there would probably significantly decrease
weathering relative to Earth. I wonder also, though, whether the influx
of meteorites to the surface there may be significantly greater than on
Earth leading to a higher surface density. Are you aware of models or data
that would predict a higher influx of meteorites to the Martian surface?

Regards,
Jim Baxter