[meteorite-list] NPA 03-08-1877 Homestead Meteorite Lawsuit Judgement

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 17 18:28:40 2005

Paper: Bucks County Gazette
City: Bristol, Pennsylvania
Date: Thursday, March 8, 1877
Page: 4 (of 4)

     The Iowa lawyers have had a wrangle over a meteor. A large fragment of
the big meteor of 1875 fell in the highway on lands owned by the Amana
Society, and a German named Mass picked it up. The society claimed titled
under the law of secretion, the realty of the highway belonging to them, and
whatever came to the land’s natural accretion being part of the realty. The
German put in a counter claim based upon original discovery and the nine
points of the law. The court has decided that the society have the better
title, and the fragment of the meteor will be placed in the State
University.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.