[meteorite-list] shock effect?

From: Jeff Pringle <jpringle_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 17 12:09:47 2005

Frank wrote:

" Much of the ring structure
appears to parallel the shape of the meteorite suggesting to me that
weathering is responsible for the major part of what we are seeing,
especially if, as I suspect, it was found on a now "not so" "dry lake."

Well, it is a lake bed find, but that parallel shape is a coincidence on this one face. The back side of that slice (2mm away) looks like this:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jlp3/images/M0301-7.jpg
And the end that I cut off for the type sample didn't show it at all. It seems to be a local phenomenon.
Contributing to my suspicion that it is a shock effect are pre-terrestrial (fused by the fusion crust where they meet it) cracks concentrically arranged farther out from the dark area.
But I've been wrong before!
Jeff

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive any applicable priviledge. Please do not disseminate this message without the permisson of the author.