[meteorite-list] shock effect?

From: fcressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 14 17:47:42 2005

Hello Jeff,

>Looks like the growth rings of an asteroidal tree.
>Presumably a fossilized shockwave, written in darkened silicates - Do you
think that's >the right reason for this structure?
>Any other ideas?

Shock may have contributed something to the rings, but I'd suggest that the
main reason may be from terrestrial weathering. Much of the ring structure
appears to parallel the shape of the meteorite suggesting to me that
weathering is responsible for the major part of what we are seeing,
especially if, as I suspect, it was found on a now "not so" "dry lake.

My two cents,
Frank