[meteorite-list] NPA 05-26-1881 Comets and Things, Kansas Meteor Wrong

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 14 10:38:11 2005

Paper: Ohio Democrat
City: New Philadelphia, Ohio
Date: Thursday, May 26, 1881
Page: 2 (of 4)

Comets and Things.

     Some time ago it was stated that, in the opinion of Professor Proctor,
the appearance of another comet this year would justify apprehensions of a
final mundane smash. Dr. Lewis Swift, of the Warner observatory, Rochester,
must have heard this prophecy. Yea, what does he do on the 1st inst., at 2
o'clock in the morning, but discover an entirely new comet, very bright and
of fair size. A stranger it was evidently. Who knows with what designs upon
the residence of mankind? There are those who, in spite of the exasperations
and mental depressions of moving day, are still attached to this old
familiar orb, and who will bear of he conduct of Dr. Swift with feelings of
indignation. Why could he not go to bed like a sensible man and let the poor
world have a chance? If anything, disastrous comes of it, Dr. Swift will be
held responsible, or would be only nobody will be left to hold him. Unless
he can find out some way to persuading his comet to turn about and go the
other way, we are not sure that the doctor is not liable to indictment at
common law for malicious mischief. To add to our apprehensions, a tremendous
aerolite fell the other night near Hunnewell, Kansas. It was large enough to
cover a piece of ground twenty-five feet long and ten feet wide, and so hot
that it scared the sod under it. What between comets and red hot aerolites
of large size, the out look is rather lurid. Yet nobody will be much
alarmed. If there is anything which every man believes in, it is that the
world will last his time. - New York Tribune.

(end)

Conradulation Cassini teams!

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.