[meteorite-list] LANL: Meteor Could Cause Big Tsunami

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 12 14:08:05 2005

No argument that we should have tsunami monitoring systems in every ocean.
And such systems might even provide data about ocean impacts that happen
fairly often and are sub-tsunami producers.

BTW, the last estimate I read suggested that the actual plate movement for
the Indian Ocean event may have involved a vertical shift of 8 meters over
an area 1000 km long by 100-200 km wide. That is a massive volume of water,
and in terms of energy alone is much greater than that produced by a
mid-velocity, 1 km diameter impactor. And the earthquake coupled 100% of its
energy into the water, whereas an impactor would couple only a small
percentage.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory