[meteorite-list] Santa Catharina colors

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 10 18:43:26 2005

> > why shale from Santa Catharina has that many colors ?
> > endpiece Wolf Creek, troilite, identical orange parts
>
> I think oxidation and alteration are the key words here:
>
> Both Wolf Creek and Santa Catharina are extremely weathered
> so the colors they display are those of extremely weathered
> metallic objects. Just think of heavily corroded terrestrial,
> metallic objects, which actually show the same or similar color
> variations.

Hello
Yes I know, but Im just interested why this coroded/weathered not the same
on whole surface.
Why in one place its orange/fragile and in another dark and hard.
In Wolf Creek this was maybe inclusions like with my endpiece, but Santa is
ataxite so there was only iron. Then if this is not depend of nickel level
in iron, then why this is soo different ?

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195