[meteorite-list] NPA 07-17-1843 Urbana, Ohio Meteor, Bolide Report

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jan 8 13:58:03 2005

Paper: Bangor Daily Whig and Courier
City: Bangor, Maine
Date: Monday, July 17, 1843
Page: 2 (of 4)

Singular Phenomena

     We learn from the Gazette at Urbana, Ohio, that "about 11 o'clock on
the evening of the 19th ult. a rumbling noise and jarring of the earth,
similar to that produced by the shock of an earthquake, was very sensibly
heard and felt in various parts of this county.
     "On Wednesday night, 28 ult., between 8 and 9 o'clock, an unusually
large and brilliant meteor fell a little east of the zenith, and disappeared
behind a cloud in the north-east. The light produced by it was equal in
brilliancy to that of the sun. Those who saw the meteor say that it was
nearly as large as a man's head. A few moments after it disappeared a
rumbling noise was heard, which lasted two or three seconds, supposed to
have been caused by its explosion."

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post, is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. I have been doing
this to for use of the meteorite-list search engine:

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com/maillist.html