[meteorite-list] NPA 06-29-1842 Meteoric Stones...Meteor Wrongs? Found

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jan 8 13:55:26 2005

Paper: The Experiment
City: Norwalk, Ohio
Date: Wednesday, June 29, 1842
Page: 1

     Meteoric Stones - The New Haven Herald says, that M. De Reichenbach has
just brought from Hungary a large sack full of meteoric stones, the greater
part of which are the size of a pea.
     "A shower of these little stones has lately fallen to the southwest of
Neusiedlersee, and the surrounding plain are covered with millions of them.
M. De Reichenbach convinced himself of the truth of this phenomenon by
ocular demonstration. These pebbles are formed like beans, and bear no
resemblance whatever to the meteoric stones which have been previously seen.
The shower was not accompanied by any of the circumstances which have
generally been observed as attendant on the fall of meteoric substances. A
detailed history of the phenomenon will shortly be published. English paper,
quoted in the (Washington) National Intelligencer, May 17 1842.
     "In our paper March last, we inserted an account of a very remarkable
fall of meteoric stones, which occurred in Hungary, August 10 (1841?) The
proceeding notice probably refers to the same event, and confirms the former
statement. The number of small stones which fell on the occasion was
estimated at three hundred and fifty millions."

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post, is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. I have been doing
this to for use of the meteorite-list search engine:

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com/maillist.html