[meteorite-list] A Field Update from Morocco

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 7 18:19:14 2005

Dear List,

I just received an interesting report from the field in Morocco. It seems
that most of the Moroccan dealers have gathered in one place to discuss the
future of meteorites over a huge feast. Among those in attendance is
Habibi. Greg is in the middle of this group so it should prove to be
interesting with all that has been going on. Hopefully, some issues can be
resolved and animosities can be put to rest.

Expedition H19 has been successful thus far with the acquisition of some of
the new fall at a reasonable price. Apparently this fall is susceptible to
rust as most of the recently found pieces are being turned away from the
Hupe Collection. A gigantic piece of the pallasite that was discovered two
years ago is now in our hands. Unfortunately most of it has been converted
to shale. We will make some of this material available to collectors at
close to our cost in a few weeks because many expressed an interest and
don't want to pay the current high prices. A rotted out pallasite found in
a wadi selling for the same price as Esquel, I agree, this is too much! I
guess the intact olivine is beautiful and there is some demand for this
material.

Greg and the current team are bringing back a lot of holdouts so hopefully
quite a few unpaired items will come from this trip. Some weird material
has already been purchased so who knows what treasures will be found in the
laboratory. A 80% crusted oriented dark green achondrite filled with
vesicles was found, how exciting! Some very cool material was rumored to
exist and Greg is all over it. I can hardly wait to find out what it is.
H19 may turn out to be a great expedition even if the total offered weight
seems to be about 1/5th of what it was just two years ago according to the
most current reports from the field.

I look forward to attending planned expedition H21 in Morocco this spring.
H20 and H22 will be in the United States so maybe some List members can join
in on these. I will provide details later.

All the best,

Adam