[meteorite-list] NWA 1827

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 7 14:59:08 2005

Hello Adam,

You replied:

NWA 1817 and NWA 1827 came up before on the List as far as piggy-backing
goes. We informed the List that we own the main mass of NWA 1817.
Another List member said that Dr. Bunch said it was OK for the number
NWA 1827 to be used. I am saying this statement is false because Dr.
Bunch did not study NWA 1827 and would not say it is OK to use somebody
else's lab number.

Hope this clears this one up,

Thanks Adam, yes it almost clears it up... at least the part about not
using others lab numbers. However, while I have no idea what Dr. Bunch
told Mike with regards to his use of the 1827 number, the reason he said
whatever he said must not be for the reason you stated - that he didn't
study this meteorite. If you look at the MetBull #88 published
description of NWA 1827, you'll see that it does include T. Bunch, NAU,
along with the team from UWS, as responsible for the classification and
mineralogy. It also says that Dr. Bunch performed comparative studies of
this sample (NWA 1827), along with your sample (1879), Mike's sample
(1912), and several others (see previous abstract link), and determined
that they are all paired.

I guess this clears it up for me.

Regards,
David