[meteorite-list] meteoroid temperature

From: Dieter Heinlein <dieter.heinlein_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 6 14:25:21 2005

Hello Lars,

the temperature of meteoroids in space was explicitely calculated with the
famous Neuschwanstein meteorite, which fell on April 6, 2002 in Bavaria.
It was the fourth meteorite fall in history with a photographed and therefore
precisely calculated orbit around the sun.

The equilibrium temperature of the Neuschwanstein meteoroid was
at the time of impact (1.0 a.u): 278 K = +5? C
in the aphelion of its orbit (4.0 a.u.): 139 K = -134? C
in the perihelion of its orbit (0.8 a.u.): 313 K = + 40? C

It's rather simple physics to determine these values. If you are interested
to learn more about it, please contact me off list.

Best regards

Dieter Heinlein
DLR Fireball Network