[meteorite-list] A Call For A New Meteorite List

From: Jerry A. Wallace <jwal2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 6 01:43:12 2005

Dear kind, gentle, patient, and knowledgeable Meteorite Folks,

I'm hearing:

"NEW LIST!" "NEW LIST!" "MODERATED LIST!" "MODERATED LIST!"

Well, folks, before we get a lynch mob all worked up here, let's rake
this mess over
the coals a few times and see how it smells then...

First (and with great deference and appreciation to Art for his
contribution in providing
this List with a home for these several years- it ain't his fault we
can't behave), let's
look at the "NEW LIST" options. The following is a list of a few other
meteorite related
lists to which I have been subscribed for a few years. Please Note: At
one time, these,
too, were NEW LISTS.

Let's do some one-on-one comparisons:

This group is for eBay Meteorite auction sales and announcements.
Authentic meteorites and
related items only, and International Meteorite Collectors Association
membership preferred.

I believe this is the list that Steve Shoner (I could be wrong about
that) graciously established
due to the outrage expressed by some MetCentral List members who
objected to the Sale
Announcement ads being posted on the MetCentral List. After voluminous
discussion on the
MetCentral List it was vaguely agreed that all sales ads would be
prefaced with the notice
"AD" in the subject line. For the most part this has has been a
reasonably well followed rule,
or agreement, - except for the usual offenders. I'll bet that most of
you who aren't members
of the eBay Meteorites list would be shocked at whom some of the biggest
users and
supporters of this list have been.

   Members: 59 / Created: Oct.14th, 2003 / Messages posted: Oct 14th -
Dec 31st 2003 = 141
   Posts for the entire year of 2004 = 96. (33 for June thru Dec
2004.) Although it was an
   excellent idea, the support for the venture appears to be waning.
Personal Note: I've made
   the large majority of my meteorite purchases (both eBay and
otherwise) from the ads that
   have been posted to the MetCentral List.

NOT A 'GENERAL' METEORITE RELATED DISCUSSION GROUP.

* Meteorite Sales
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/meteorite_sale/

 Mailing list for posting wants/sales/trades of meteorites or other
objects of interest to the
 meteorite collector.

     Members: 245 / Created: Apr 30th, 1998 / Aver. yearly postings-
'99-'04 = 208.

     [Sorta goofy rules for sellers using this list.]

* meteoritecollector
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/meteoritecollector/

    The Michael Cottingham Collection Of Meteorites. The purpose of this
list is to provide
    meteorite sales, news, meteorite hunting and collecting information.

    Members: 96 / Created: Jun 21st, 2000 / Aver. yearly postings-
'00-'04 = 32.25

* MeteoriteCollectors
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MeteoriteCollectors/

     Meteorite collectors discuss meteorites and collecting. This group
is open to
     EVERYONE interested in meteorites. Dealers are welcome to post sales.

     Members: 154 / Created: Apr 26th, 2000 / Aver. yearly postings-
'01-'04 = 405

* Meteorite World
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/meteoriteworld/

     Would you like look for meteorites, sell your meteorites
collection, or discuss with other
     meteorite researchers? Please Join the Meteorite World club. Here,
there are the people
     enthusiastic in the meteorites like you.

     Members: 53 / Created: Jul 24, 1999 / Aver. yearly postings- '00
-'04 = 30.8

* Meteoritical Bulletin
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MeteoriticalBulletin/

     This group will be used to announce actions taken by the Meteorite
Nomenclature Committee
     of the Meteoritical Society. Items posted here will include
descriptions of newly found or fallen
     meteorites and new meteorite classifications. Information will be
posted as soon as possible
     following approval by the Committee.

     Members: 638 / Created: May 28th, 2000 / TOTAL postings- years '01
-'04 = 21

     NOT A 'GENERAL' METEORITE RELATED DISCUSSION GROUP.

* meteortrade
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/meteortrade/

      This is a forum for collectors, dealers, and anyone who are
interested in the hobby of
      collecting meteorites. You may post meteorites that you have for
sale or for trade.

       Members: 44 / Created: Feb 24th, 1999 / Aver. yearly postings-
'99 -'04 = 49.33

Note: Since I included Michael Cottingham's group lists above- it's only
fair to include
Matt Morgan's site here.

* milehighmeteorites
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/milehighmeteorites/

      This is a sales message only site, unlike most of the above sites.
Only the moderator
      may post messages.

* The Meteorite Express
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/themeteoriteexpress/

       Trying to find out if that rock is a meteorite?
       Find a great meteorite deal? See a big rip-off on a meteorite
somewhere.
       Post your message here...come on, join us, the water's fine!
       *** CHAT 8:00pm cst MONDAY ****

       Members: 64 / Created: Mar 18th, 2000 / Aver. yearly postings-
'00 -'04 = 28.2

There are probably other meteorite related group lists out there. The
ones listed above
are the ones that I found from a search I made several years ago. I've
just sort of hung in
there with them since they are obviously of little bother.

The point I'm trying to make with this is that there exists alternatives
to the MetCentral
list already. I suspect that a "NEW LIST" would probably be doomed to
sharing the
approximate statistics as the ones mentioned above within a very short time.

A good many of you have overlooked the fact that this list is vibrant
and viable- with the
exception of a few- including the astute Mr. Gwilliam who said, in
effect, 'Why re-invent
the wheel. This one works pretty good- let's fix it.'

Danged right the List has some problems, but it's by far the best thing
going. I, too, would
like to see some of the recurring problems thinned out. It takes time,
effort, and persistence
to do this.

I, like many on the List, would like to see the List return to its tenor
and manner of 'the
good old days'. But, if you will read the archieves, you will be
reminded that even the
'good old days' were not without their share of controversy, acrimony,
and off topic
nonsense. But, at the same time, there was proportionately more actual
discussion of
meteoritical topics. It's really not all that bad today- you just have
to cut through a bit
more chaff to get to the real meat. I do miss some of the early
contributors, though.
But there are recent contributors that are adding a lot to list content
that is for the good.
Things change.

Now- on to the cry for a "MODERATED LIST'. This would open up a whole
new can
of worms. Just a few of the complaints to be expected are: delayed
postings, unfair
censorship, charges of favoritism, and numerous others that I won't list.

Then there's the problems associated with finding moderator(s). There
had better be
several working in shifts since this list is a 24/7 operation.
Personally, I like it like that.
I wouldn't particularly like having to wait several hours, or a day or
two, to see my post
show up (or not), or wait to get any responses that might be quickly
forthcoming. One of
the beautiful things about this list is its immediacy. When you stick in
moderators, that's the
first thing you lose.

One of the reasons I read the list postings regularly is that I'm
waiting for that post that
shouts "Meteorite Hits West Texas (Again)." I might not be the first
one to the fall site
but I can certainly guarantee there will be a whole herd there after me.
I missed being
in Monahans (34 miles from Odessa, my home) early because I was in
Dallas at the time.
But I'm still looking for some of its cousins. I know they're out there
hiding and waiting
for me.

Let's save this very valuable asset that we currently have in the form
that it has always
existed. Let's just try to find a way to tweak the offending contributors.

Let's try to help the folks creating the problems realize that their
posts are inappropriate,
or suggest they sign up elsewhere, or take up another hobby. Let's try
to eliminate the
profanity (a totally unnecessary nuisance). It has no place in a forum
that has, or should
have, a diverse membership.

Same goes for the off-topic posts that seem to last forever. Take it off
list.

But please don't try to eliminate the occasional good humor. It helps
the day go better.
Eliminate the rare, casual fun that comes through the list sometimes,
and you'll have a
dry, academic atmosphere. Wouldn't take long before more than a few of
the list
members walked if that were the prevailing attitude. Keep it warm,
friendly, and
personable, and lets talk meteorites. It's pretty much already that way
with only a few
malefactors. Oh yes, there was a femalefactor here once, but she moved
to Alaska and
now has no internet access. :-D

Well shucks, I've been at this on and off for several hours today and I
see I'm starting
to get silly- so I quit.

Best regards to all,

Jerry

PS... Thanks again, Art. I, for one, think you're doing an exceptional
and outstanding job.