[meteorite-list] Re: New Lucerne discovery -- historical info first

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 5 20:55:04 2005

Matson, Rob <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com> wrote:

"Some of the most interesting stories are the ones
that are rarely told here -- meteorite hunting
stories. Instead, these end to be revealed slowly by
word of mouth due to the need for secrecy or
confidentiality/proprietary concerns. (You never saw
Franconia mentioned here until the news was out by
word of mouth at Tucson last year.)"

Hello Rob and List,

I understand the point you were trying to make, Rob,
but you chose a bad example when you picked Franconia.

Actually, Franconia was first mentioned (by me) at
Tucson two years ago, not last year.

Not having checked the List Archives, I can't say for
sure that I made a post "here" to the List, but I did
publish an article about Franconia that same month.
Now if your point is just that, that I excluded the
List from my "announcement", then I will have to take
exception to that.

First, where is it written that this List is the
clearing-house for all such announcements? Why should
it be required that all meteorite-recovery information
be posted to this List?

Second, but more to the point, why should I have to
risk the bad reputation of this List tainting my
efforts at raising the stature of meteorite-recovery
in the eyes of professionals and of the general
public.

I'll get to the point, until this List cleans up it's
act, it doesn't deserve the "Part 2" of your Lucerne
Valley post. There! We clearly are in disagreement.

I give you the "high ground" on this one, Rob. And
probably my heart is with you on your noble effort,
but this is how I see the current situation -
this noble effort is nothing more than
casting pearls before swine -
and all you end up with are pearls of wisdom covered
in mud.

Rob, you still have until Jan 11th to submit a
"print-only" abstract of your Lucerne Valley findings
to the Houston LPSC Meeting. You should share your
findings with your peers.

Bob V.