[meteorite-list] Re: Google (on topic)

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 5 14:17:34 2005

Google is definitely out of control. Last year I commented to the IMCA that
it ought to advertise with the search engine. At that time I noted that
Mike Farmer's meteorite hunter advertised link showed up in most or all Google
searches using the word "meteorite." Shortly afterward, I noticed that John
Birdsell followed [but not the IMCA ;-)].

Now Mike doesn't show up at all, and it seems you have to put Campo in the
search too to get John - much harder to get his ad with general terms now. On
the other hand, no matter what I seem to type with the word meteorite,
eBay.com is showing up once, twice!! or even three times!! ( a lady) in the
the Mom and Pop standards and in with the cold calculating behemouths. Well
now your eBay ads are getting more exposure thanks to Google's incredible
power...

So, I find it very appropriate that Mike seems to have either fired Google
or been overlooked by them very recently, and John was the previous number two
I observed and is being diluted there. These two men certainly must
understand Google data mining as they have been involved, participated, and paid for
its benefits. I suspect that although they are entitled to be quite
disgruntled, they are right on the mark, because privacy is quite a separate issue
with this stellar mutating now shareholder driven information Microsoft
protege!

Saludos, Doug