[meteorite-list] Please edit messages

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 4 22:32:56 2005

> I don't really care and it isn't a big issue but to make reading through
> the emails easier, why not just quote what is relevant to your (our)
> posts and not let the quotes compound to the point of being ridiculous.
>
> --AL Mitterling

I agree AL, I try to edit down the messages when it becomes really long. I
was just saying that bad etiquette on this list will continue as our hobby
grows and new (& less computer savvy) members join up. I had never heard
the controversy about top/bottom posting, but was always annoyed with bottom
posting (though I've rarely seen it practiced). But now that I think about
it, it was only when there was a ridiculous amount of info on top of the new
information. Then you have the pain of scrolling down... It doesn't matter
to me, but maybe I'm just used to the top posting format. Does it really
matter whether one practices top or bottom posting in a short email (such as
this)? Or only on really long post (which is good to avoid) - just
curious.

> (just using you as example for the others and not putting anyone down
here)

While this seems off topic, new people like me can benefit from discussions
like this. In the mines, it's annoying when inexperienced people
(especially ones on tours) shine their cap lamp in your eyes when talking
with you, but they only make the effort not to do so after you explain what
they're doing wrong. I certainly don't mind admonishment or instruction -
if nobody did so, what kind of world would we be living in? Thanks for the
heads up on this issue.

Clear skies to all!

Mark
Vail, AZ