[meteorite-list] Santa Catharina

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 4 13:42:52 2005

Hello Bernd, List,

Regarding the 28 kg of Santa Catharina from Antwerp university, yes, I well
know the team in Antwerp who rediscovered this old piece of "iron" that
later proved to be Santa Catharina.
One of the co-authors (Rik Dillen), relatively close friend, provided me in
due time (1992) with further anecdotes related to this find and that were
fully described in the reference Bernd is kindly providing.

More, at the Antwerp show that year (1992 I believe), Rik proposed me for
sale some chunks of this famous iron.
I hardly started collecting meteorites at that time but felt there that I
should take some of the fragments as they had a nice history behind. I did
so and actually purchased the last 3 pieces left (all the others were
rapidly sold out).
I traded one of them since but keep carefully the last 2 "metallic
sections" (with no crust though) that involve very fresh brillant metallic
faces (not iron shale) with various cracks.
Pieces weigh 58.3 and 26.3 grams. They definitely do not resembe the
classical SC's.

I do not have photos done but can do it in a near future (through a friend
as I am still exploring the present market trends for a digital camera
purchase).
I can keep you informed.

For those attending "Ensisheim-2005" I can perhaps exhibit these 2
fragments as fitting the theme (they had - indirectly - some impact on men)
but also as curiosities.
We always wish that the exhibit presents something odd, unusual, with a
funny side story behind....

Best,

Zelimir

A 20:24 03/01/05 +0000, vous avez ?crit :