[meteorite-list] Re: diamond wire ( was CBN blades)

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 4 11:46:18 2005

> Marcin, list,
>
> This seems tro be an interesting tool. Have you a photo or so. It is the
> first time I hear of this method. It could become popular if you ( or we )
> promote it. I like tools too.

Hey
Its usualy used in factories to cut machine elements from all kinds of iron.
Its controled by computer, so its have great precise.
It use wire make from eeeeee Molibden if I remember correct. This wire not
cut. It only conduct electric power that cut iron. So here is no any
pressure on specimen. It can be placed only on little magnet or can be hold
on table by screw. Wire is all the time cooled by special mix water + oil
becouse otherwise wire will be burned. In some ways its similar to laser
cutting.

Cutted surface is usualy flat. But this depends of iron composition,
inclusions, and intensity of electric power. For example, Mundrabilla
without inclusions have not verry flat cut surface. Another time I cut 7mm
thick slice of Morasko IIICD with alot of cohenite, shreibersyte and big
troilite inclusions in center and cutted surface was ideal flat. Also
Dronino with all this strange inclusions can be cut, but its go slower than
other meteorites. One time wire was stoped by less than 1mm grain of
something that not conduct electricity so it must be cut from other side.
Ofcourse specimen must be clean from outside becouse all rust etc not
conduct electric power so wire will be not cut.

When I will make photos of this machine I will send to list

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195
--------[ Member of: Polish Meteoritical Society ]--------