[meteorite-list] Help with Meteorite Identification

From: Bob Evans <bobe5531_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 3 17:25:09 2005

Hello list,

Im just starting to get my feet wet with cutting meteorites, and I would
like a little input with a meteorite that I cut.
I had this piece for quite a while and now that I have a saw I decided I
should cut it open and have a look.

The piece cut like butter, very course and brittle. When I cleaned it off
with water the specimen soaked up the water like a sponge, very porous with
chondrules and considerable metal present. I couldn't polish it either.
Here's a picture of it :
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/spacerox2001/detail?.dir=3d64&.dnm=b977.jpg&.src=ph

Its very frustrating to be unable to determine meteorite types. I cut open
every unclassified stone that I have. Most are obviously chondrites but this
one seemed considerably different.

Id appreciate some opinions.
Thanks
Bob Evans