[meteorite-list] triolite inclusions

From: Norman Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 3 11:51:47 2005

Karin, Tom, Steve & list--

Norton doesn't answer the Troilite question anywhere
that I can see. He simply provides descriptive
comments. I don't have the answer, but I've wondered
about the same question: why does troilite commonly
assume the form of rounded blobs?

A speculation based on my exposure to terrestrial
materials is that it may involve immiscibility in the
original melt, analogous to oil in water. We
sometimes see rounded inclusions of sulfide minerals
in silicate melts. In igneous materials, rounded
phase boundaries typically mean that the shape was
generated by surface tension, which would only be
influential in the molten state. I don't know that
sulfides are immiscible in Fe-Ni melts, but that's
what it looks like.

I'm sure someone out there has the real answers rather
than speculations, but I thought I'd throw these ideas
out to keep the ball rolling---

Happy new orbit to all!
Norm
(http://TektiteSource.com)