[meteorite-list] CBN blades

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 3 10:22:35 2005

Good morning List,
I agree with Franco and Bessey. The CBN blades are really impressive for
the first few minutes that you use them; after that, their ability to cut
disappears pretty quickly.
Dean mentions using a blade called the Pro Slicer. I use this blade almost
exclusively now based on its longevity and cutting quality. These diamond
blades can be used to cut irons, but you must perform an occasional
maintenance step that most people don't know about. When cutting irons,
the steel core of the blade has a tendency to roll over the diamond
particles along the edge. This exposes less and less of the diamonds at
the cutting surface and the cutting action gets slower and slower. To
remedy this, the diamond blade must be "dressed" to remove this small layer
of steel. This is done buy cutting a block of material that is abrasive
enough to grind away the unwanted steel. Most old timers in the lapidary
business use a small block of common red brick. While this will work, it
can take several passes of the saw through the brick to achieve the desired
results. I've found that making a few quick, short cuts through a piece of
an old lapidary grinding stone does the job very nicely. Simply break a
worn out stone wheel with a hammer and make a few quick cuts on a piece of it.

Best,

John