[meteorite-list] NPA 10-10-1992 Peekskill Meteor Seen from Albany, NY

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 27 15:13:56 2005

Paper: Syracuse Herald-Journal
City: Syracuse, New York
Date: Saturday, October 10, 1992
Page: A1

Meteor shower brightens sky

     ALBANY - Hundred of meteors danced through the skies in the Western
Hemisphere overnight, exciting star gazers and grabbing the attention of UFO
watchers up and down the East Coast.
    "I've never seen anything like it in my life," said Phillip Hillen of
Penfield. "This thing, whatever it was, I'd say it was a thousand feet high.
  As it went over our tree in back...it had a color I'd never seen before.
It dropped out of sight and I expected an explosion."
     What Hillen saw was one of Friday night's display of blue, green and
red shooting stars, known as Draconids. The shower may still be around
today, though with less intensity, said Rich Mamrosh, meteorologist at
National Weather Service in Buffalo.
     A meteor, or shooting star, is a piece of rock that begins to burn and
glow because of intense heat caused by the friction of hitting the earth's
atmosphere, Mamrosh said.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.