[meteorite-list] Russian Label Help

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 26 19:54:43 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:24:24 -0700, "Matt Morgan" <mmorgan_at_mhmeteorites.com> wrote:

>Hello list~
>I have just acquired a specimen of Zhovtnevyi that has a Russian
>specimen card and is labeled "I358".
>I do not have a Russian font, but the first two lines of the card read:
>"Aka?emhR Hayk CCCP"
>"KOMHTET NO METEOPHTAM" (an approximation with my anglo keyboard).

Well, the CCCP is obviously USSR (or, spelled in the Latin alphabet, Soyuz Sovetskikh
Sotsialisticheskikh Respublik). I'm pretty sure that "Aka?emhR" would be "academy", and "komhtet",
"comet" and "meteophtam", "meteorite". (I tried to teach myself Russian once, and taught myself the
pronounciation of the Cyrillic alphabet, but have pretty much fogotten it all by now).

Here's a pronounciation guide to the Cyrillic alphabet as used in Russian:

http://www.friends-partners.org/oldfriends/language/russian-alphabet.html