[meteorite-list] Dean's/Bernd's #218 - 292 grams - Answers to the Quiz

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 26 10:16:40 2005

Hello Phil and List,

> Did you ever unveil the answers to this little quiz. I'm
> curious and if you did, I missed it. Regards, Phil

No, I didn't unveil the answers to this little quiz as nobody
seemed interested in my contest. Here it is once again for
everybody who bothers to look:

http://www.meteoriteshop.com/sales/s1sale201-250.html

As for the answers to this quiz:

1) Why this one?

- It has an interesting shape and interesting surface features
- You can clearly see the line where it was buried in the ground

2) Where do I want Dean to cut it?

- Well, right along this line between the part that was exposed to
  the desert elements and the part that was protected from these

3) Does it have any special features? Which ones?

- fresh fusion crust where it was not exposed to weathering and wind
- beautiful, shallow thumbprints - some are more prominent but cannot
  be seen in Dean's picture
- this meteorite has flight marks with slight lipping visible running from
  the stone's nose in the foreground at an angle of about 30? toward that
  elongated, wedge-like notch

4) Why did another list member want this one, too?

Because he, too, saw that this is a special NWA and right he is. The stone
is already on my table here in front of me and it is one gorgeous stone.

Phil, I will send you a JPEG of the cut surfaces. There is a lot of metal (plus
two FeNi melt puddles with troilite inside one of them and several conspicuous
meandering shock veinlets. And as if that was not good enough, there is also
a 2.5 cm-long metallic vein (nickel-iron) running toward or away from the FeNi
melt puddle that has a troilite island inside.

I am not sure yet what it is - might be an H6 - heavily shocked (S3 or S4) as these
shock veinlets can be seen crossing the entire specimen (some veinlets are even
parallel to one another.

Thank you, Dean, for this one (and all the others I purchased)!

Best wishes,

Bernd