[meteorite-list] NPA 03-21-1979 Urey in Hospital, Jilin Meteorite gift

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 24 20:54:03 2005

Paper: Syracuse Herald-American
City: Syracuse, New York
Date: Wednesday, March 21, 1979
Page: 5

     Dr. Harold C. Urey, who in 1934 won the Nobel Prize for chemistry and
later helped develop the atomic bomb, is reported in stable condition in the
coronary care unit at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, Calif.
     A hospital spokeswoman said the 85-year-old scientist was admitted
after suffering a possible heart attack Sunday. Has was resting
comfortably.
     Urey, known for his investigations on the origin of the universe,
recently was invited to lecture in China after scientists there sent him a
fragment of the famous Kirin meteorite. Because of his age and health, Urey
declined the offer.

(end)

>From my article on Jilin postal items in Meteorites Times,

"Jilin City, is also known as Chi-lin City or Kirin City. This industrial
port city is located in northeastern China, in Jilin Province. Which also
shares the names Chi-lin Province and Kirin Province. Jilin Province borders
Russia in the north and North Korea in the east. Jilin means "along the
river". The river is the Songhua River which flows along its side. Emperor
Kang Xi of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911 AD) made a famed inspection tour down
this river in the mid-eighteenth-century. A verse composed by the Emperor,
"Boat Sailing on the Songhua River" referred to Jilin as a river city and it
struck."

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.