[meteorite-list] Meteorite hunting in Spain (was First meteorites)

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 22 07:39:52 2005

We have to ask our Spanish list members,
as in Spain there is the only desert in Europe, the Desierto de Tabernas.
Never was there. On the pictures I saw from, I couldn't find a suitable
terrain.
Another problem: In Europe everything is full of metal and slags. Thousands
years of settlement, agriculture, metal melting, wars - if one only thinks
how much metal the last two world wars pumped in the soil. You'll find
everything from Roman coins, medieavel or antique slags, bullets from Thirty
years war, nails from bronze age, but no meteorites. Didn't check the stats,
but we had no European Nininger (Chladni was a kind of a scientific
vagabond) and so the most European meteorites will have fallen in front of
the peoples feet rather than to be found by chance.

Buckleboo!
Martin