[meteorite-list] Dho 025 lunar

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 21 07:31:29 2005

> Anyone have any thoughts regarding the nature
> of the vesicular clasts in the lunar Dho 025?

> The clasts themselves are a couple of mm across
> and contain numerous little bubbles / vesicles.

> I was wondering where the vesicles come from,
> what gases were trapped and so on.... !

These melt pockets indicate intense shock after compaction by an
impact event on the Moon. You are probably looking at melt glass
(shock-melted plagioclase, anorthite and maybe silica glass) and
the gases that were trapped are probably noble gases (not sure
with regard to the noble gases).

Best wishes,

Bernd