[meteorite-list] Re: Blood Auction Results

From: Meteoriteshow <meteoriteshow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Feb 18 04:32:24 2005

Hi,

I do not know if selling prices should be 'published' or not, that decision
definitly stands 'in the hands' of the seller and should be respected as
such.
However I agree that the price of a meteorite is definitely what someone is
ready to pay for it at a certain time. When we found our first meteorites in
the Sahara desert, we had the luck to come back with 4 carbonaceous
chondrites out of 9 finds, and some rare & nice ones! When we saw the prices
for CM2s for instance and thought about our 750g , we first believed that we
were sitting on a kind of gold batch! Some years later we know that we have
this CM2 for many years and will never sell it all at the 'usual market
price', if such a price exists. It is definitely not like gold or diamonds.
What I want to say is that prices are really subject to a feeling that a
collector can have in front of a meteorite, and her / his decision to buy at
a given price is not necessarily related to a market price but rather to an
impulsive attraction. This is also related to the amount of money available
to the buyer at that moment as well!
To my opinion, there are so many parameters that interfere with the price of
meteorites, that it is almost impossible to find a 'market price' for them.
They can be rare, witnessed falls or not, good looking or not, complete a
collection of a certain type or provenance, etc... And when one is proposed
for sale at an auction, we should not forget that it is a kind of 'game'. As
far as I am concerned, I have already bought some items on eBay at higher
prices than what can be seen on some dealers' websites, just because I had
been outbid and I wanted it! Something like this impulsive attraction I was
talking about earlier. And sometimes this 'magic' does not occur and the
price does not take off!
Well, this is a game, and the rules are not always very easy to find out!

Best wishes,

Frederic Beroud