[meteorite-list] Re: Blood Auction Results

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Feb 18 03:13:53 2005

Hey All, Ryan,
I don't think the market is screwed up. As long as someone is happy
to pay $12/g instead of $6/g there is no problem. Prices change every
day with new finds and such. Meteorites are different than most other
collectibles, as the price revolves around many unrelated things.
Visual appeal, availability, TKW, CRW, weathering, etc. are all
factors. There will never be a standard price for a certain
meteorite, but there can be a reasonable price range.
Unclassified NWAs for example range from six cents a gram (I saw this
price in Tucson this year) to upwards of fifty cents a gram. The
average seems to be between ten and twenty-five cents a gram.
Anything above or below this range seems really cheap or somewhat
expensive to me. Millbillies seem to go between $10-15/g and all of
those new falls go for $6-10/g. These are all ranges, showing decent
(in my opinion) prices for each meteorite.
As long as people are willing to pay whatever for a meteorite and are
happy with it, there should be no problems. I've never seen a
television that had decent character or a little impact pit...
My 2 Cents,
Jason

"Don't accept the truth, just ignore it until it goes away."
                              -me