[meteorite-list] Help with information about the Gold Basin Strewn Field

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Feb 9 10:57:11 2005

The Gold Basin strewn field is a vast area that is checker boarded with BLM
and private land. Some of these boundaries are marked, but most are not
and it's almost impossible to know if you are on private land or not.

Anyone wanting to take the opportunity to hunt for meteorites in Gold Basin
might want to do it sooner than later. With a new bridge being built over
the Colorado River to relieve the traffic jams on Hoover Dam, there is a
land rush going on by speculators in the Gold Basin area. Two list members
that I know personally have told me that they have been contacted by real
estate speculators offering to buy the land they own in Gold Basin at huge
prices compared to the original cost. For a better idea of what's going on
in the area, visit this link to an article that appeared in yesterdays
Arizona Republic news paper.

<http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0208vegassuburb08.html>

I have addressed some of you questions below.

At 02:21 AM 2/9/2005, llewsib Kram wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm looking for some help with information about the Gold Basin Strewn
>Field. We will be visiting from the UK at Easter and want to try and have
>a look at this site for meteorites. We are amateur geologists but not bona
>fide meteorite hunters - which may help us a little with any
>identification. We plan to use our eyes and magnet on a stick in our searching.

There will always be some meteorites to find in Gold Basin, but over the
years, the area has been pounded over and over. I do hear news from time
to time of some gold prospectors finding meteorites, but these boys are
using high tech metal detectors. However, the blind squirrel finding a nut
theory still applies to the area.

> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
>
>1/ Would we need a map to search this area or is it not necessary? If s
>where can we get the map?

The Gold Basin area is about 40 miles north of Kingman, Arizona. Go north
on Stockton Road and you will pass a large dry lake named Red Lake Playa
about half way between Kingman and Gold Basin. There have been some small
meteorites found on this lake but it's a big area and might be covered by
water this time of year considering the amount of rain we've received
lately. You then need to look for the road that goes from Dolan Springs to
Meadview (Pierce Ferry Road). Turn right and then turn left on Antares
Road, which is also called Greg's Hideout Road. If you come to a well built
fence and a sign that says Lake Mead National Recreation Area, you have
gone to far. Hunting is strictly forbidden on the Rec. Area.

If you're coming from Las Vegas, there is an alternate way to get to Gold
Basin through a small town called Dolan Springs.

Camping is allowed on BLM land for up to 14 days (I think that's
right). The trick is determining if you are on government or private
land. Most of the private land near the roads is posted so it shouldn't be
too hard for you to find a place to camp.

>3/ Do you have any other sites you can recommend in the area? (within say
>300miles)
>
>We know about Holnbrook.

There are several dry lakes in Nevada within your 300 mile limit. Most of
them can be located on maps of the area. An excellent map to have is the
Nevada Atlas &Gazetteer published by DeLorme. These atlases are available
for all of the western states and can be purchased at Wide World of Maps in
the Phoenix area or online. Also, see my above mention about some
meteorites that have been found on Red Lake Playa.

>Many thanks in advance
>
>Mark

Good Luck,

John