[meteorite-list] Baygorria v. Campo del Cielo

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 7 18:42:26 2005

> Could someone who has a better understanding of this
> subject explain how the Baygorria Uruguay meteorite is
> related to the "new Campos" of Chaco Argentina?

>From the mere facts of the coordinates alone, and the descriptions, there
may well be, but must not necessarily be an implication of a relationship
between those two.

The "Baygorria" meteorite:

"A single mass of about 80kg was found in a grass field near Baygorria dam;
classification and analysis by B.Spettel, Max-Planck-Institute f?r Chemie,
Mainz, Germany; similar in composition to Campo del Cielo, J.N.Grossman,
Met. Bull. 80, MAPS, 1996, 31, p.A175."

(source: MetBase V6.0)

An Iron IAB, coarse octahedrite, main mass in private possession in
Montevideo, found July 8, 1994.

>From the known coordinates alone the two finds are situated a bit more than
a distance of 400 mi NS and some 150 or so mi WE apart from each other,
which, imho, does not mean too much in this situation. I doubt that one
could make any clear implication from this alone, but anyway it is an
observation.

Alex
Berlin, Germany