[meteorite-list] Some Tucson Tidbits

From: Matt Morgan <mmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 5 10:40:03 2005

Good morning from Tucson:
The show has been a blast thus far. I have almost made it to all the
other dealers' rooms!
Robert Haags room was really fun yesterday and I will probably return
today. He had literally, dozens and dozens of specimens from his
collection on display and was available to talk about each one. Bob is
the most personable guy around. Needless to say I spent 2 hours in his
room and spent most of my meteorite budget there. Picked up a few pieces
including a 1.5kg Millbillillie and a 4.3kg St-Severin.

Michel Franco has some very nice items he found in the Sahara, the 6.7
kg diogenite was to die for, but was sold before I could get my act
together. Oh well. This was the first time I met him and we hit it off
instantly. He is a gentleman and loves to talk about his expeditions.
Thanks Michel for the mini-meteorite for my daughter.

Saw some outstanding SNCs in Bruno and Carine's room, but didn't have a
chance to talk with them due to the crowds!

Al Lang has his usual outstanding display of items from his collection
and those for sale in the auction. Once again, it was crowded and I
split.

These crowds are good for the meteorite community! It is a pleasure to
see them once again and I hear over and over that the show has been
great for dealers. Finally.

Mike and Eric have a very attractive display of some incredible
specimens, from old falls to new Omani finds. I got to hold the new
lunar and my daughter touched her "first" piece of the moon (she is 5
mos old today and thanks Mike for letting her do it).

Blaine Reed's room is covered with meteorites. Blaine has his best stuff
I have seen in several years at Tucson and the deals were abounding. I
picked up a 52g complete slice of a new "bi-modal" ureilite that has
visible olivine crystals in it. WOW. Will post a picure.

Mr. Pani of Pani Meteorites has a nice variety of NWAs and he is a
pleasure to talk with. He gave my daughter her first iron meteorite.
Thanks so much!

E.T. was his usual jovial self and had some killer NWA howardites in his
room. Not to mention a huge chunk of D'Orbigny Angrite. Drool....

Now I am off to visit my Russian pals at the Comet Shop and the guys at
Meteorites.com....

Adios amigos..
Matt