[meteorite-list] KSU H4 Meteorite, Secretary Paper Weight

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Feb 2 21:28:43 2005

Hello everyone,

Looks like I get to annouce another previously undescribed US meteorite.
Following the tradition of the Layfette University and the Kansas University
meteorite. Where an unknown meteorite found in the college was named after
it, we have given this meteorite the provision name of Kansas State
University.

This meteorite was found in the collection of NASA scientist Elbert King at
the time of his death. Labeled as "UNDOCUMENTED" and side noted, " #2" in
King's personal catalog, the meteorite was unclassified. The single stone,
301 grams, was first recognized as a meteorite by KSU geologist Doug
Brookins on the desk of a university secretary where it was being used a
paper weight. Elbert King acquired the meteorite from Brookins.

In October 2004, 26 grams of the meteorite was sent to UCLA were it was
classified by A. Rubin. The meteorite is a stone chondrite H4, W3, S1. Fa
18.8 +/- 0.2. This meteorite, currently part of the Kansas Meteorite Society
collection, is co-owned by two of its members.

Photographs of this meteorite can be found on the following website.
Currently, we are not willing to cut anything from the meteorite for resale,
sorry.

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colksu.html

I will be flying to Tucson in the morning, Simone will be here, but I will
be unable or slowed in answering e-mails.

Clear Skies,
Wichita, Kansas
Mark Bostick
www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com