[meteorite-list] Meteorite Suspected of Hitting River in Northern Finland

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Dec 31 22:57:54 2005

http://newsroom.finland.fi/stt/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=11281

Meteorite suspected of hitting river in northern Finland
NewRoom Finland
December 30, 2005

A large explosion crater found in the Mantokoski river in Utsjoki,
northern Finland, may be caused by a meteorite, said Juhani Harjunharja,
chair of the Ursa astronomical association, in a statement Friday.

The crater has an estimated diameter of as much as 300 meters. Samples
are being sent to the University of Oulu for examination. The
possibility of the crater being caused by the remnant of a satellite has
not been ruled out.

"For my part I am strongly leaning towards the opinion that it is a
meteorite", Mr Harjunharja said.

The impact zone is approximately one kilometre from the closest settled
area. It is estimated that the impact occurred before Christmas.