[meteorite-list] Meteorite finder list

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Dec 17 17:21:41 2005

Greetings Robert and all,

Robert Matson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been spending some spare time compiling a list of prolific meteorite
> finders (primarily extracting all finders' names from Meteoritical
> Bulletins), and was wondering if anyone had a list of meteorites
> found by Nininger (since his heydays predate the Bulletins)? His
> influence is certainly responsible for hundreds of meteorites being
> recovered from the grain belt, but I haven't been able to find a list
> of meteorites he actually found himself.

Perhaps part of the answer lies here in a part of a Nininger Moment I
generated. It might help you be selective in where you might hunt for
the specimens recovered by Nininger. Please note that Addie Nininger and
Harvey kept an excellent journal on all the field work they did. This
was the beginning of the Meteoritical Bulletins and were turned over to
be used later on and are now a part of those.

 From Nininger Moment #9

Nininger brought to light over 222 previously unknown falls, that added
up to over 2,000 individual meteorites during this time frame of
hunting. No doubt that many other new falls were found as an indirect
result of his program to other institutions, collectors and scientists.
A Dr. Flecter Watson of Harvard once wrote in his book " Between The
Planets" Published in 1941 that Nininger was accounting for half of all
the discoveries in the world at that time. In 1937 thirty one new
discoveries were tabulated to have been found due to Nininger's efforts.
More than three times the amount found in any three years previous for
the entire world. For all of the finds there were also the pseudo
meteorite finds that totaled some 35,000 specimens that yielded nothing.
Nininger figured he had published over 150 different papers, four books
and two booklets and passed out over 200,000 free leaflets in his effort
to bring about new meteorite finds and information.

 From "Find a Falling Star"

Best!

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites